Our focus is on creating substantial, practical, and sustainable value for clients – that is our passion. The solutions we develop are highly profitable and, as a result of a systems perspective which optimises for all business challenges, also create better environmental and social outcomes.
Key areas in which we find substantial value are:
- Value chain. We are practiced at examining value chains to find cost reduction, revenue improvement and competitive advantage opportunities which also better meet the needs of suppliers, staff and customers. For example, our team members assisted with the development of the first supply chain carbon footprinting methodology – which was used to identify 10% energy savings for one client and substantial savings for their suppliers. The methodology was codified into PAS2050.
- Resources. We think broadly about resources to include inputs, outputs and cyclical flows including remanufacturing and recycling. Our approach encompasses efficiency, waste and externalities that are rapidly being internalised into the economy (such as carbon, water, and landfill space). For example, by thinking differently about carbon, our team members assisted one process industry company to identify a 43% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions with an NPV of US$2B.
- Technologies and business models. We stay abreast of emerging technologies to identify first mover opportunities when quality is rapidly improving and costs are decreasing. We also examine opportunities to deploy new business models through examining customer needs, service improvement opportunities, and structural inefficiencies in current approaches. For example, our team members assisted Shell to identify new business models to address the emerging energy challenges of cities.
We refer to such opportunities as ‘system value’ – which we unlock through a rigorous understanding of how systems work. These are differentiated win-win outcomes that supersede many of the incremental and undifferentiated corporate practices that are prevalent today and therefore provide competitive advantage for early adopters. You can read more about how we unlock system value in our paper ‘Unlocking New Value in a Changing World’.
We assist clients by bringing:
- Business skills developed at top tier strategy consulting firms.
- Engineering training and experience, so we understand the technical aspects of solutions and can work with client engineers and line managers to harness their ideas, minimise implementation risks and gain their support
- Detailed understanding of megatrends and their implications, including, for example, renewable energy technologies, sustainability and urbanisation
- A systems viewpoint gained through extensive sustainability project experience
- A track record of unlocking extraordinary value, using a proven toolkit of approaches